- 3 cloves of garlic
- 50 g mature Cheddar cheese
- 50 g stale bread
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- olive oil
- 4 higher-welfare sausages
- 1 pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 3 x 400 g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 400 g dried rigatoni
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6.
- Peel and finely slice the garlic. Coarsely grate the Cheddar. Tear the stale bread into small chunks or blitz in the food processor.
- Tip the breadcrumbs into a bowl with one of the sliced garlic cloves, a good pinch of the oregano, the grated cheese and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Drizzle with a little oil and toss to mix it all together.
- Pop the sausages out of their skins, roll each into 4 balls and place in an ovenproof dish. Drizzle over a little oil and roll to coat. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the remaining sliced garlic and oregano, and the chilli flakes. Stir until the garlic is coloured, then tip in the tomatoes.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the rigatoni according to the packet instructions, taking it off the heat 2 minutes before the end, so it’s al dente. Drain in a colander and tip into a large baking dish.
- Add the meatballs, pour over the sauce and toss well. Sprinkle over the cheesy crumb mix and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden on top and bubbling.